Praying for the Church in 2021
Matthew 6:9–13 Pray then like this: “Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. 10 Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. 11 Give us this day our daily bread, 12 and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. 13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
“Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name.
- What are some attributes of God that you have been thankful for in the past year?
- What are some blessings that we experienced as a church in 2020?
Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
- We should desire for God’s will, not our own will, to be done in our church.
- Pray for God to give us discernment in understanding His will for us.
- What are some particular things we know from the Scripture that He desires of us as a church?
- Pray that God would open our eyes to any ways we are seeking our own desires above His desires.
- Pray that we would be willing to submit to God’s will if we find that it’s contrary to our own desires.
Give us this day our daily bread,
- Thank God for the ways He has provided in the past year
- Pray for God’s physical provision for us as a church
- Pray that He would provide for each of individually
- Pray that He would give us hearts of obedience in regards to our giving
- Pray that He would give us wisdom to know how to best steward the resources that He gives
- Pray for God’s spiritual provision in the year to come
- Pray that our souls would be well fed through our hearing of the Word
- Pray that God would sustain and strengthen us spiritually
and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
- Pray that we would be a repentant people
- Pray that God would reveal our sins (individually and corporately) and that we would respond with repentance
- Pray that God would equip us to deal properly with any public sin in the church that may arise. That our goal would always be repentance, restoration and forgiveness.
- Pray that we would understand and live in light of God’s forgiveness
- Pray that we would be a forgiving people (toward one another and towards those outside the church)
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
- Pray that God would guard us from any misunderstanding of the Scriptures or of the Gospel.
- Pray that God would guard us from any conflict that that could arise among us
- Pray that we would be kept from gossip, divisive talk and any sin that would disrupt the unity of the body
- Pray that we would know how to respond in a godly way to the world around us. That we would not sin against one another or those outside the church as we respond to current events (i.e. politics, COVID-related issues, racial issues, etc.)