What Matters to God - Matthew 16:13-20
What matters to God is not only that we read the Bible but that we read it correctly. -2 Timothy 2:15
Biblical hermeneutics is the study of the principles and methods of interpreting the text of the Bible.
Following biblical hermeneutics means that passages must be interpreted historically, grammatically, and contextually.
Biblical hermeneutics helps to avoid wrong interpretation of the Bible; of who God is; of who is Jesus and what he came to do.
1. What matters to God is knowing who Jesus really is! (vv.13-17)
- Knowing who Jesus really is takes divine revelation. (v.17) -John 6:65; Ephesians 2:8-9
2. What matters to God? The church matters to God! (v.18) -Eph. 2:19-21; 1 Peter 2:7b-8; Romans 9:33
- Church was God’s idea and not man’s.
3. What matters to God? What we (the church) do with the keys to the kingdom of heaven matters to God. (v.19) -Matthew 23:18; Matthew 16:19 (NASB)
Why did Jesus charge the disciples not to tell people that he was (is) the Christ? (v20)
-Matthew 16:21; Acts 1:8; John 7:6-8
As disciples of Christ (the church) are we using the authority given to us by our Lord and Savior to prevail against the gates of Hades?